Friday, October 2, 2009

Porto!

Hi all - I am writing from the beautiful sky hostel in Porto, Portugal and feeling a whole lot better than I have in recent posts. Getting away for a little bit is always a great boost and Porto is sososososo cool. As soon as we stepped off the bus, my mind was already racing, trying to figure out ways that I could stay here longer. As a city, it is about twice the size of Salamanca but there are trees, the river Douro, and the Atlantic Ocean - I missed my East Coast trees and water. There are beautiful cathedrals on every block and in general the people have been incredibly nice. We had a delicious dinner on the river last night and visited the big cathedral, the cloisters, and the Sandeman winery this morning and are hoping to do even more this afternoon-maybe a museum, definitely visiting all the turn of the century coffee shops we can.

This is the first time I have ever been in a country in which I don't speak the language and it is the oddest sensation. I can understand Portuguese sometimes but I only know how to say the most basic phrases. I used to think that Portuguese had almost everything in common with Spanish but it sounds a lot more like French, and English seems to be the secondary language here. EVERYONE speaks English and they correct you if you say something in Spanish by saying, " I am Portuguese, not Spanish." Whoops. I guess I can't blame them. Portugal has definitely gotten the short end of the stick as far as Iberian notoriety and as a people, they are deservedly proud of their very distinctive culture. I don't really like not being able to chat away with strangers(gives me new perspective on my ESL students and how they must feel) so I have decided to take some decisive action. These are my options:

1) Only go to Spanish and English speaking countries
2) Learn every language ever and travel everywhere I can.

I would be perfectly happy with option #1 but doesn't option number 2 sound so much better? Now all I need to do is to find some sponsorship and someone to come with me....

We did have a super hyped up language/international experience last night, though. We were walking back from dinner looking for a place to buy bottled water and some ice cream and we were very VERY tired ( Porto is uphill both ways, I swear). I guess we lingered too long outside of once convenience store and an incredibly friendly man popped out and said to us in French/Portuguese - This is my house, full of my family and friends,it is modest, but very good - Come in! Not able to refuse such an enthusiastic invitation we all cautiously filed into this tiny little store. Literally his entire family was sitting in the store watching TV( complete with adorable child in footie pajamas). I was somehow in the front of the group so I got some serious interaction with this dude.

Him: Where are you from?
Me: Estados Unidos. America
Him: AHHH OBAMA!
Me: Si si me gusta mucho!

He then passed me over to his friend who spoke a little english. From what I understood, all of them were from Angola and had moved here. He recommended that we go check out the riverfront and then asked me what I wanted. I began asking in my frantic New York english that I wanted a bottle of water. He asked me to slow down. I tried again. Still totally butchered it- now I'm starting to feel like a jerk. Finally he says/ you speak spanish?
My mental reaction
YES YES YES I DO WOW YES I DEFINITELY SPEAK SPANISH YAY THIS IS SO EXCITING

What I actually said.

Si hablo espanol - Quisiera una botella de agua. Cuanto cuesta una grande?

Ohhhhh it was really cool. Super simple interaction but it was so instinctual - and it´s happening more and more now which is SO neat. Gender agreement is getting to be a reflex and Paquita and I are having a much easier time communicating at dinner. And the feeling of relief I had when I realized this man spoke Spanish has to count for something( I have another fun language moment for you when I wrap this one up).So we all paid and went on our merry way. And as we left the man called after us OBAMA! and put his fist in the air. I love that some random man in Portugal who is actually from Angola is that excited about our president- the dude I voted for. Anyway, simply buying a bottle of water was an experience that involved 4 languages and 3 continents. That kinda thing doesn`t happen in Poughkeepsie.

Alright, one final fun language learning story before I leave you for siesta ( I don´t care if I travel to Croatia - I will continue to siesta). If you have slept in the same room with me ( Julie, Ava, and Alana are some notable victims) you know that I have a habit of talking in my sleep.

Some memorable quotes
The metronome is chasing me!
Yeah I know! Power rangers, right?
Daddy, save me from the gymnastics!

All my habits are so incredibly embarrassing ( tripping is my other biggie). Anyway the other 5 girls and I are sharing a room in this hostel and I gave them fair warning that I might have a few things to say. So poor Roshanna has a cold and I think she may have been awake coughing when she heard me sleep talking IN SPANISH. I was just ordering food ( what else?) but I think that is definitely exciting enough to put in the ¨Made my day¨ category.

More from Porto soon.

Love,

Fio

PS Is it weird that I miss Salamanca?

No comments:

Post a Comment